Sunday, May 10, 2015

Junking & Thrifting for the stuff (it's Mother's Day)

First of all Happy Mother's Day to all the moms of the world,
trusting you all had a wonderful day - I know I did!

Seems like eons since I last posted - I think it has been.  I've been so blessed (did I say soooo blessed) with my painting business that I had to come up for air. As quick as I paint a piece it flies out the door - sold!   I guess that's a good thing.  But to me by far it has been the people I've met on this journey. If all I had to do is open a can or bag of paint that would be easy but it takes time finding, junking, scouring, climbing over, digging in, moving, driving, calling, picking up, delivering my vintage pieces.  Oh and  I forgot - painting these pieces.  But I love it & more importantly it's meeting some amazing women and men that share that love of everthing vintage. The idea that there is new life breathed into every piece; not that same old boring furniture that has been sitting lifeless in a garage or corner somewhere.

I truely love hearing the stories of where some of these pieces have come from.  How they belonged to a relative or it was used in their house when they were young.  Do I paint every piece - about 90% gets repurposed and the other 10% I keep or pass on to one of my clients.  I love visitng thrift stores because the ones I go to are usually non profit and purchases go to a great cause. One in particular donates some of their proceeds to feeding the homeless locally and also food banks.  Craigslist is a great source and I have met people who are excited to see the final transformation or even fellow painters themselves who for one reason or another have to part with some of their excess which I gladly buy.

Yard sales are fun too especially estate sales where usually I find some really vintage stuff.  I've mastered the art of buying & loading (that's where a truck comes in handy).  Taking all the drawers out of a piece reduces the weight.  So the next time you have the urge to go on that scavenger hunt, make sure you have, blankets, movers and some extra wheels to transport.  The early bird truely catches the gems. And don't be afraid to ask for a better price, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Look at this beauty Serena at Thrift Diving scored for $40.00.  I'd love to get my hands on one like that.  Better yet I think my fellow painter Alex has one he's selling. Time to give Alex a call.

Toodles -  Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment